WANT TO FIND CHALONG ON PHUKET ISLAND? – WE HAVE THE BEST – INFO – PHOTOS – MAPS – LOOK NO FURTHER
IN A NUTSHELL
- 42 KM SOUTH-EAST FROM THE AIRPORT
- THE HOME OF SAILING IN PHUKET
- THE SPIRITUAL HEART OF PHUKET
- LOCATION OF AO CHALONG PIER
WHAT’S ON OFFER
|Location:||(1.5 / 5)|
|Accommodation:||(2 / 5)|
|Family-Orientated:||(2 / 5)|
|Nearby-Services:||(2.5 / 5)|
|Nearby-Restaurants:||(2 / 5)|
|Nearby-Entertainment:||(1.5 / 5)|
|Available-Transport:||(2 / 5)|
|Party-Hotspot:||(1.5 / 5)|
|Available-Girls:||(1 / 5)|
|Prices:||(4 / 5)|
|Average:||(2 / 5)|
WHERE IS CHALONG
Chalong is basically ½ way between Phuket Town and Rawai, on the south-east side of Phuket Island and sits directly behind Karon and Kata beaches that are divided by a mountain range that the “Big Buddha” sits atop.
Chalong is about 40 kms from Phuket International Airport, even with the new Phuket Town bypass, highway 4021, it will take you 30 to 40 minutes to get there from the Airport buy taxi or minivan.
There is nothing that would draw tourist to this area, to want to take a holiday here, there are no beautiful beaches or seaside resorts, and the coastline is mostly muddy, reclaimed mangrove swamp.
But that doesn’t mean that Chalong doesn’t have any draw cards or nice resorts to stay at, in fact it has plenty to offer, and you will find that out if you explore this area a little bit instead of just passing quickly through.
The area is popular with those who want to go scuba diving off the islands or boat cruises around Phangnga bay and use Chalong pier as a jump off point.
Chalong bay is the largest bay on the Island and makes it a popular mooring location for boats of all types seeking shelter. Chalong bay is also a popular location for sail boat racing on weekends and is home to the annual sailing regatta.
Chalong bay is also home to Chalong pier, a near 720 meter long jetty that is a popular departure and drop off point for tourist who are Island hopping or going on a scuba diving trip.
Chalong roundabout is one of the busiest in Phuket, from this point; you can basically go to any other destination on Phuket, north, south, east or west.
- Phuket International Airport – 42 kms
- Patong – 17 km
- Karon – 7.5 km
- Phuket town – 8 kms
- Rawai – 6 kms
- Cape Panawa (Phuket Aquarium) – 15 kms
Located on the south east side of Phuket, it is home to the biggest bay in the Island and is where many boats of all kinds set anchor in the calm waters.
SIGHT SEEING & ATTRACTIONS
The area around Chalong has some good attractions to visit if you’re sightseeing around Chalong including –
- The Big Buddha Phuket
- Wat Chalong Temple
- The Phuket Botanical Gardens
- Phuket Rum Distillery
- Phuket Zoo
- Elephant villages
- The bird park
- ATV trail adventures
- Shooting range
- Island tours
- Scuba diving Tours
MAP OF CHALONG
Map of Chalong – zoom out to see the greater Phuket area or zoom in for more detail and click on map markers for links to view the marker information.
HOW TO GET THERE
The way to Chalong is clearly marked all over the Island by road signs,
- From the Airport – travel down highway 402 until you get to the Phuket town bypass, the follow the signs to Rawai on highway 4021 until you get to Chalong.
- From Patong – the fastest way to Chalong from Patong is over the Kathu range on highway 4029 then at the Kathu intersection turn right onto highway 4020 that will take you to the “Central Festival Shopping Mall” intersection, turn right here and take Highway 4021 to Chalong.
- From Karon Beach – from Karon or further south of Kata Beaches, you have to get on highway 4028, this will take you directly to Chalong roundabout.
- From Rawai – getting to Chalong from Rawai is just a matter of travelling north on highway 4024 until you arrive at the Chalong roundabout.
MODE OF TRANSPORT
Chalong is one of the most accessible places on Phuket, You can get there by –
- Taxi – metered, tuk tuk, motor bike taxi.
- Bus – catch the community buses for 10 baht.
- Car – hire a car and drive there.
- Motorbike – hire a motorbike and drive there.
- Boat – speedboats and ferries arrive at the pier.
- push-bike – hire a push bike and ride.
- walking – if you have the time and motivation
- Banks and Money exchange
- Medical, optical and dental Clinics
- Police station
- Post office
- Shopping Malls
- Hardware shops
- Convenience stores
- Boat services taxi services
- Massage venues
- Internet cafe
- Tailors souvenir shops
- Laundry Service
- Site seeing and travel agents
- Beach activities
- Petrol station
Yes, Chalong does have a nightlife, the area is very big and is becoming more popular with the local Thais, bars and restaurants for tourist and expats can be found mainly along “Sunrise Rd” the road that travels directly east from the Chalong roundabout and goes to Chalong pier.
There is no shortage of places to stay at Chalong, the area boast a large selection of guesthouses and small hotels in the area and there are a handful of resorts if you need something better, but there are plenty of cheap rooms at Chalong, if you’re on a budget.
To find a room, click the link below
LINK – CHALONG – HOTELS – GUESTHOUSES AND RESORTS
While at first, Chalong seems like a place tourist wouldn’t like to stay, the area offers lots of services and attractions as well as cheap accommodation, the road network here offers a quick trip to anywhere on the Island, Chalong should be considered for those who like to base themselves in an area that lets them get around fast.
CHALONG RATING (2 / 5)
Any further questions can be left in the comments section below –
In Phuket hopes you found this information helpful, please share.
This Article has been viewed (2866) times.